- This event has passed.
Block Party 2018: Bloktoberfest, Wigan STEAM
October 20, 2018 @ 12:00 pm - October 21, 2018 @ 4:00 pmFree
‘Bloktoberfest’ will be a celebration of homebrew teletext, playing host to pixel art workshops as well as games and presentations much like those seen at Block Party Cambridge in 2017.
What will be there?
- Resident Teletext Artists: we have teletext artists you can chat to, see at work and get tips from before trying teletext art for yourself!
- The broadcast teletext archive: services spanning 42 years of actual teletext pages, all recovered from domestic videotape. Find out how it’s done and see pages from the dawn of teletext.
- A closed-circuit teletext system: teletext as you remember it: a TV set with four channels where and you can press ‘Text’ on the remote on each channel and enter its teletext service!
- Teefax: an online teletext service updated by enthusiasts which, using the Raspberry Pi, you can pipe into your teletext TV at home and watch teletext. It’s also available online!
- Teletext hardware, enhanced teletext and live subtitling
Saturday 20th October 2018: Doors open 12PM, close at 4PM.
Sunday 21st October 2018: Doors open 10AM, close at 4PM.
What is Wigan STEAM?
Wigan STEAM is a tech/arts hub in Wigan town centre, located just a few minutes’ walk from Wallgate and North Western train stations. (Note: Wigan Bus Station is currently closed for development but a normal bus service still operates to various points in the town centre.)
STEAM, otherwise known as the Chipboard Paradise, is home to a suite of Raspberry Pis, an art space, maker space and gallery. The latter will display a tech graphics exhibition by Dustin Lyon entitled ‘The Lonely Sea’ throughout the Block Party weekend.
There is ample parking on Library Street just outside the STEAM Hub in addition to a medium sized outdoor car park at the bottom of the street. There are also two large car parks in the vicinity, the Grand Arcade (<5mins walk) and the Galleries (<10mins walk). Click links for opening times.
For those looking to stay overnight, both hotels have lots of parking spaces.
Here is a map of parking areas in Wigan town centre with opening times.
Please bring your laptops if you have them! We’ll have computer systems at the ready in case you really can’t, however.
Admission is free and you can turn up on the day. We would appreciate if you could get register here to let us know if and when you’re coming so we can gauge numbers.
Feel free to email Dan at: hello [at] teletextart [dot] co *dot* uk